Sunday, June 13, 2010

But is that a real definition or only a nominal one?

What does “Feser” mean? We’ve considered one proposed definition. In light of my remarks on philosophy and polemics, Bill Vallicella suggests another:

'Laser' is an acronym: Light Amplification through Stimulated Emission of Radiation. I hope Ed won't mind if I make of his surname an acronym: Filosophical Erudition Sans Excessive Restraint.

How could I mind that? (Other than by reason of its being too flattering! Thanks, Bill – I’ve been trying to come up with a clever acronym for “Vallicella,” but that’s a tall order. Ten letters, and four of them Ls!)

7 comments:

  1. Faith Enthusiastically Spanking Egregious Reasoning.

    I won't even try Vallicella.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Focused Exclusively on Scholasticism Eschewing Reality

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah but Anonymous....
    it only works if we accept for "reality" your backwards, contradictory, 'unable to even support your own beliefs' contortion of actual reality.

    ReplyDelete
  4. hype

    Who is this xenophobic group you refer to as 'we'?

    ReplyDelete
  5. @Maolsomething: great one.

    As for me, just a feeble attempt, because Heav’n forfend that I let a chance for recursion go unexploited:
    Focused, Engaging, Serious, Entertaining Feser.

    ReplyDelete
  6. FESER: Fearlessly Extreme Scholastic Enraging Reductionists

    ReplyDelete